Wednesday, July 1, 2009

THE BOX TYPE MYSTIQUE

It is without question that the '80-'88 Lancers are THE most iconic cars of Dekada Otsenta. Only the Toyota Starlet comes close, but not quite. Affectionately called the "Boxtype" because of its, DUH, boxy features, it set the standard for automotive technology during the '80s and was the dream car for a whole generation of "Bagets", so much so that until recently, it was proclaimed THE SEXIEST CAR ever by a popular magazine, besting established supercars and luxury cruisers. Sure, we still see a lot of them running, most of them carrying the patina and battle scars of an era gone by, but that is exactly why it still carries such high regard and distinction. Simply put, the car was built to last. Eight years of production cement that case. I myself was not the biggest fan prior to owning my first 'Box, since, as aforementioned, I thought there were still too many of them on the road. The hardcore individualist in me didn't like the idea. But having owned two '87 SL's (I still own the second one) completely changed my point of view. I fell in love with the fact that it was a car that combined the best of old and new; iconic styling and modern conveniences. It was something that I could use everyday and would still get lots of approving nods and thumbs up from people. For comparison's sake I also own a '73 Dodge Colt and a '75 Mazda RX3 that get even more oohs and ahhs, but I wouldn't dare drive them in 90 degree weather. The lack of air conditioning would met my underwear in no time. Now for those people with newer cars reading this, I am not saying that your vehicles don't turn heads. I'm sure people admire your rides, but there is a difference when casual observers see a classic. Whereas a modern car would probably fetch praises such as "that ride is really well done..", a classic with original paint and all the period correct stuff would elicit much more than that. Let's face it, a contemporary car with a clean setup next to a classic? No contest. Nine out of ten people check out the retro. But back to the 'Boxie. To sum it up, it is a car that I will, without any fear, take anywhere, anytime, because I know it'll get me there, and it will get me there in style. I'm sure I won't be the only one who agrees...

No comments:

Post a Comment