Friday, September 11, 2009

On Joining A Car Club

It perplexes me when people register in car club forums, but never show up during actual meets, and then EXPECT to be one of the gang online, whining when they think someone picks on them or ranting that they don't get treated the same way as others. Back in the day, before the advent of the internet, people actually got word of a car club hanging out somewhere and actually WENT there. For me and other "tandercats" (swardspeak for old people), the concept of lurking online, feeling your way around the forums and being content to be an anonymous name is totally alien to us. Matter of fact, when I register, the first thing I try to find out is where the group actually meets up, then attend at the first opportunity I could. Why? I can sum it up in two words: PROFESSIONAL COURTESY. When you go out of your usual routine to look for people of similar interests, the first thing on your agenda is to actually meet them in person. It's the ONLY way of actually establishing genuine rapport with the rest of your peers. Your car may be the catalyst that binds you to the club, but it is your PERSONA that will forever define and endear you to the crew. Once you have their trust and respect, everything else will come naturally. I honestly don't believe that there are any hindrances or excuses for you to not go out and mingle with people who share the same passion. Got work? Ay putang ina, i-sick leave yan! You got 12 for a whole year, put one to good use. File vacation leaves when you know there's an event coming up. Your significant other takes up most of your free time? Take him/her to one of the meets. Let that person know you more, because the real keepers are those who will go with you and actually find themselves enjoying as well, and in the event that they don't, they will at least understand when you ask to spend time away from them. Seriously, I find people who are content with merely foruming just a little bit askew, because I believe that you've got something to hide if you don't like to meet me personally. So with that out of my chest, I do hope that anybody reading this actually takes time to digest my two cents of wisdom. Go out. Have fun. Enjoy your ride but enjoy the people you meet, those people who share the same addiction, even more.

See y'all at the next meet.

No comments:

Post a Comment